Have you recently started boxing and are looking to buy your first pair of boxing gloves? If so, you may be feeling a little overwhelmed with the choices presented before you. Though there are a variety of options to choose from your best bet for a first pair of boxing gloves are a quality pair of training gloves.
Training gloves are made to be used for anything from basic sparring to bag work. They are the most versatile and will offer beginners the best bang for their buck. But how should your boxing gloves fit?
A common mistake made by beginners is buying a glove that is too big. But there are many other mistakes that can be made. See our tips below to help you know what to look for when choosing the right pair of gloves for you.
Boxing Glove Fit Tips
- Don’t go too tight – your gloves should be snug but don’t buy gloves that will cut off circulation. Consider that your hands may swell as your work up a sweat. Gloves that are very tight when you try them on may become too tight while training.
- Wrist fit matters – you should be able to get a tight closure through the laces or velcro around your wrist. Gloves that are too big could be prone to falling off.
- Fingers shouldn’t swim – if your fingers aren’t sitting against the top of your glove you’ve got the wrong fit. Your fingers should fit firmly against the top of your glove without cramping them.
How to Choose a Boxing Glove Size?
Now that you know the basics of what to look for in a good boxing glove fit, its time to start shopping. But what size should you buy? There are a variety of glove sizes based on the weight of the glove. Though it is always a great idea to consult your coach first. Below are our tips for choosing the right glove size.
- Should consider a versatile training glove. Training gloves are a good start and most are weighted at 12oz.
- Could also consider a heavier sparring glove weighted at 160.
- Should always check the rules of the fight
- Will generally require 8oz – 10oz gloves.
It is generally best to consult a coach before buying new boxing gloves. Your coach will ensure that you are choosing a glove that is both the proper fit and size for your needs.
Try a Boxing Class
If you still haven’t tried a boxing class yet, what are you waiting for? Consider trying a free boxing class at a great gym like Grants MMA. Not only will you get a great workout, but you will also be able to ask any questions you may have.
Use your free class to get in touch with an expert boxing coach and ask them to help you with your choice in boxing gloves. There is no better time to start your fitness or athletic boxing journey than now!